Wednesday, October 28, 2015

REVIEW: Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Summary:

Isabella Swan's move to Forks, a small, perpetually rainy town in Washington, could have been the most boring move she ever made. But once she meets the mysterious and alluring Edward Cullen, Isabella's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. Up until now, Edward has managed to keep his vampire identity a secret in the small community he lives in, but now nobody is safe, especially Isabella, the person Edward holds most dear. The lovers find themselves balanced precariously on the point of a knife-between desire and danger.Deeply romantic and extraordinarily suspenseful, Twilight captures the struggle between defying our instincts and satisfying our desires. This is a love story with bite.

Title:  Twilight
Series:  Twilight Saga
Book #: 1
Author:  Stephenie Meyer
Approximate Book Length:  513 Pages
Recommended Reader Age:  13+
Sexual Content:  Mild

Thoughts:

This is a case where I saw the movie long before I read the book. At the time, I hadn’t even known it was based on a book. I was intrigued enough to continue, then after the third movie released was I introduced to the books. I liked book one a lot. As usual, largely because of the detail and the little things left out of the movie, it was ten times better than the film.

There were more characters, a few more dynamics between familiar characters, and much more interesting interactions. I also get why Bella fell for Edward thanks to the book. They spend a lot of time talking, and once they get past all the secrecy and this-is-a-bad-idea stuff, they work really well as a couple despite their differences.

Some people say that Bella and Edward are an example of an abusive relationship, and I can where they get that, but I disagree. I can see where Edward is coming from when he does the things he does and Bella doesn’t let him just walk all over her when she’s determined.

Some people also rail about the writing, but frankly I’m pretty into it. I appreciated that every scene had a purpose, big or small, so there was nothing superfluous. I also liked the level of detail about the setting and everything. What I love is how vivid and multidimensional the characters were. Bella in particular was relatable, which is probably the most important thing, especially since the whole story is told from her point of view.

I like Jacob and of the Cullens, I adore everyone but Jasper and Rosalie. Even though he’s the dad, I loved Charlie as well. Angela is my favorite of Bella’s friends, and Bella’s situation with the boys is hilarious, especially at the end (which is not in the movie by the way).

I think what I didn’t like was really some of the cheesy parts. Sparkling vampires is a pretty tough pill to swallow. Vampires repeatedly attending high school is also pretty weird. I get they need to pass the time, but there are better ways. But then, how would Edward have met Bella, right?

Bottom Line:

Twilight is a love story about two people from very different worlds that form a seemingly impossible relationship. If you’re looking for unlikely romance and loveable well developed characters, pick this one up!

Rating:



Links:



No comments:

Post a Comment