Thursday, September 13, 2012

INTERVIEW: Lucy Felthouse


Lucy Felthouse is one of those people that dabbles in many things and writing just happens to be one of those. I’ve had the pleasure of reading a few of her works, most of which are reviewed over at My Secret Romance (see my reviews page to find them), but I reviewed her latest release, Off the Shelf, here and really enjoyed it. She recently sat down and answered some questions for me, so here you can get to know her a little bit better!


Have you always wanted to be an author?
Yes, ever since I was a child. I'd be brandishing a pen and declaring I wanted to be an author. Since then I must have changed my mind a hundred times, as many kids do, but I eventually found my way back to it—albeit mixed in with a day job.

What inspires your work?
All sorts of things. I have lots of male celebrities who acts as my muses. Otherwise it can be a book, a TV show, a film, an overheard conversation, a place… anything and everything, really.

You write in a variety of genres, but is there one that you feel is your strongest?
I don't know, to be honest. I probably get the most compliments about my lesbian stuff, so I'll say that.

You’re a prolific author. Do you have a favorite story that you've written, or one you're most proud of?
I'm very proud of Off the Shelf, an m/f erotic romance published by Xcite Books because it was my first novella, and the longest piece I'd written. At the time of me filling in this interview, it's still the longest piece I've written, but I'm currently working on a novel which I hope will have overtaken the novella by the time this is published!

I also really like my lesbian erotic romance, Finally Found, which appears in Evernight Publishing's Lover Unexpected: Sappho Edition anthology because it's a fun romance with lots of real life stuff thrown in.

Are you a pantser or a plotter? Do you outline plots for your books or just write as it comes to you?
Since most of my stuff is short stories, I'm mainly a pantser. An idea will come to me and I'll just write it. But with my novella, and especially with my novel, I have chapter by chapter outlines to help me stay focused. But if the final thing changes from the plan, it doesn't matter – what will matter is the fact I've finished. Fingers crossed!

What is the atmosphere like when you sit down to write? Do you have music playing? Perhaps a drink and a bowl of M&Ms or something?
I always have a drink beside me when I'm working. Sometimes I have music, other times I don't, it just depends how I'm feeling at the time. The ideal atmosphere is no outside noise, i.e. neighbours or people in the street because it's very distracting. Sometimes I'll even shut the blinds to stop me looking out of the window. Unless it's raining. I like to watch the rain. It inspires me.

When you're not writing, what do you like to read? Who's your favorite author?
I read all sorts of things. I review books as well as write them, so I get sent lots of erotica and erotic romance to read, so that's the stuff I read the most. But I like to take a break from it by reading thrillers, paranormal romance, chick lit and horrors. As for my favourite author, there are so many that I couldn't choose just one.

Do you have any advice for aspiring romance authors?
Yes – read lots in your chosen genre, learn to edit your own work, and never give up!

Can you share a few random facts about yourself unrelated to writing?
I love Supernatural. I'm a Sam girl, though I certainly wouldn't say no to Dean.
Jeremy Renner is my current celebrity crush.
I have a loony dog called Scamp.
I love historical places like houses, stone circles, churches, etc.



Lucy is a graduate of the University of Derby, where she studied Creative Writing. During her first year, she was dared to write an erotic story - so she did. It went down a storm and she's never looked back. Lucy has had stories published by Cleis Press, Constable and Robinson, Decadent Publishing, Ellora's Cave, Evernight Publishing, House of Erotica, Ravenous Romance, Resplendence Publishing, Sweetmeats Press and Xcite Books. She is also the editor of Uniform Behaviour, Seducing the Myth, Smut by the Sea and Smut in the City.

Find out more at her website, join her on Facebook and Twitter, and subscribe to her newsletter.


Lover Unexpected: Sappho Edition Available Now!

Girlfriends share lots of things, including their most sinful secrets. When those secrets involve love, lust and long denied desire, sparks are sure to fly. And sometimes, there is no denying the need for a woman’s touch.

In this volume you’ll find seven delicious stories of sensual, daring women who open their hearts to discover love, fulfillment and satisfaction—closer than they expected.


No comments:

Post a Comment