Thursday, September 20, 2012

My Ray of Sunshine

Sometimes, it's the little things in life.

There are times in life when you can't help but appreciate the small things.  My husband is a goof and likes smiley faces, so he draws them on my dry erase board or even a piece of paper I'm using, and gets all excited when he sees a graphic of one, whether it be in a game or even as a picture to have printed on his checks next to his name and address.  If I drop ice on the ground and throw it in the sink or someone has just emptied several ice cubes into the sink, I like to run hot water over them just to watch them melt because I think it's cool.  I'm reading a book right now where a friend of the main character is named Jessie Smith and my oldest friend (I've known her since I was a whole five years old!) is named Jessi Smith so I couldn't help but giggle.

Sometimes it's the little things in life that make us smile, or laugh, or just plain fascinate us.  Sometimes it can be a simple gesture that can just make our day.  Some of you may know from Facebook that I walk about four miles six days a week.  Well now that school has started up again, there's a lot more people around the neighborhood at bus stops and crossing guards stationed at the busier intersections.  I travel the same route every day, and it appears that people are beginning to recognize me.  One of the crossing guards will usually hold traffic for me at the busiest intersection if she sees me coming and is already out in the middle of the street.  Today she was at the corner on the sidewalk and when I got up to her I smiled my normal friendly smile that I always give her, but while she smiled back, she also spoke.

She told me that she sees me every day come from one direction, turn, and then circuit back around the long way, so she can figure that I take the long way around a park at the end of one street and into the next block to circle around her way as my route.  But it was these words that stuck out, "You're doing good!".  Exercise has always been a hardship for me, because it's hard to stay motivated, so I've been pretty proud that I have kept up my walking, even if I'm not losing much (if any) weight in the process due to building muscle in my legs instead.  It really just warmed my heart to hear her say that.  We don't know each other's names, or anything about each other's lives, but she smiled at me and gave me encouragement and an all around positive vibe.  I smiled the whole way through the end of my walk.  She'd totally made my day.  

It made me think.  Sometimes it's the little things in life... I want to be the kind of person that does simple things that can make a person smile, not because I think they deserve it because they accomplished something or did something good, or because I might get something out of it, but because they're another human being and maybe they need even a little smile to get through the day.  So I try to do just that.  I will smile at anyone I meet, even if they might creep me out a little or outright scare me, because it's only right to pay a little spark of happiness forward.  So yeah, just thought I'd share my little ray of sunshine today :-)


4 comments:

  1. I approve of the smiley face at the end

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! It always feels good to have someone smile. :)
    I try to smile at as many people a day as I can, even if I am not in the mood.
    I think you're doing a wonderful job with keeping up your walking. I have to start exercising, but need to find my motivation. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a really long time to find my motivation, and it finally came when I was enjoying the weather and had headphones in to listen to audiobooks (or music if I needed a dose :P). Good luck with it, it's not fun but you end up feeling good about it once you get going!

      Thanks!! :-)

      Delete