Tuesday, April 16, 2013

BLOG TOUR: Dadspirations: The 1st 100 Days of Fatherhood by Pete Densmore


Thanks to Book Trailer Showcase Tours for hosting this blog tour. I have Pete Densmore here talking about his book Dadspirations: The 1st 100 Days of Fatherhood. Welcome!

*****************************

Brief Quote

Spa Day. Girls' Night Out. Inspired Dad. Adored Baby.

These are just a few of things a new mom can expect to receive from the humorous and practical new parenting book DADspirations: The 1st 100 Days of Fatherhood by humorist Pete Densmore.

Although the book is intended for a new father, we all know its the expecting/new mom who is going to have to giver her hubby a nudge in the book reading department. When the dad starts reading this book, not only will he feel inspired with his newborn, but there's a good chance he'll start feeling overly generous with his wife.

And seriously, what mom doesn't want a book that will inspire her husband to send her for a day at the spa?

About My Writing

While my career has been in pharmaceutical advertising, my passion for writing reemerged a couple of years ago with some colleagues from work. Every Tuesday night from 7-10pm over the course of 6 months, we would write for our blog called Stunt Dad. Each of us focused on writing our own personal ways of surviving the day-to-day explosions of fatherhood. The sarcastic, brutal honesty of our writings combined with the excitement of welcoming another child into the world eventually led me down the path of creating my first book, DADspirations: The 1st 100 Days of Fatherhood, published in August of 2012. I never imagined that family would be a genre I would dive into, as my main interest has always centered on writing dialogue. However, the tone of my book has definite parallels to the quick, snappy dialogue style that I’m accustomed to writing. Finishing my first book on the first few months of being a father to my second child has inspired me to continue writing in this genre. I’m currently working on a second book that is geared towards my son, a collection of manly movies re-told as bedtime stories with animals representing the roles of popular film characters. Instead of Star Wars with Luke Sykwalker as the hero, my night-time story to my son will be Bear Wars featuring Luke Skycub. The book is tentatively titled Hijacking Hollywood for Fatherhood.

Miscellaneous

Without a doubt, Carl Hiassen has influenced my writing the most. To this day, he is one of the few authors that will still make me laugh uncontrollably out loud on a consistent basis. He is the ultimate humorist, which I definitely find myself aspiring to. Last fall, I mimicked his satirical style in a blog post about a father preparing to host the holidays, specifically for the 12 types of party guests to be on the lookout for and what to do to prevent them, from being them. The intention was funny, tongue-in-check; the reception was cold and angry. Without rehashing the details, I learned a valuable lesson. Satire can win over an audience, but only if it’s done right. Sarcasm is a fine line to walk; too much sarcasm can come across as rude and not enough can lead a reader to think, what the heck is this guy talking about?

Publication

While raising my son, I discovered inspiration and creativity which I never knew I had. Upon learning my wife was expecting baby number two, a flood of exciting ideas filled my head, including writing a book. The writing started as a way of keeping track of these cool ideas I wanted to do for my daughter, building on a lot of the fun things I did for her older brother. As I put my thoughts to paper, the words began to come to life and form more of a narrative than just a checklist of awesome things I was planning for my baby girl. Besides, being a dad is one of the greatest things you can do in your life and soon enough, I realized I had this kickass strategy on how to inspire dads in their first 100 days of fatherhood. This is the only parenting book of its kind which focuses on the importance of the first few months of fatherhood providing practical and creative ideas that are illustrated with pictures. This book urges Dads to bond with their newborn from the get go and can also help them achieve "Rockstar Dad" status. I sent my wife to a day spa two months after our daughter was born and she still romantically reminds of how much she loved it, wink wink.

*****************************

About the Author
During my sophomore year at the University of Iowa, I read aloud my short story in a creative writing class. One of my classmates said it would make for a great movie. That one, simple comment has always stuck with me and usually gets replayed in my head whenever I write for a few hours in one sitting. It’s a vivid memory that keeps me motivated to achieve my ultimate goal of winning an Academy Award for best original screenplay. While I have the beginnings of numerous screenplays started, it was a book about my unborn daughter (at the time) which I ended up finishing first. Being married and the father of two kids under the age of 3 has left little time for writing, especially since we spend most of our spring, summer and fall weekends on a lake in Wisconsin and during the week, I commute into Chicago from a suburb that is over an hour away. Needless to say, as much as I love to write, it’s challenging to find the time to do so.

Humorist and author of DADspirations: The 1st 100 Days of Fatherhood, father of two Pete Densmore doesn’t consider himself an expert in parenthood by any means. He makes the same number of mistakes as every other parent and doesn’t have any fancy combination of letters after his name. Densmore believes that anyone can be an inspired dad as long as he wants to put the time, effort and heart into becoming one.

Find the author:
Website
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest


Dadspirations: The 1st 100 Days of Fatherhood

DADspirations: The 1st 100 Days of Fatherhood is a fast-reading, humorous book which includes an actionable checklist of essential ideas to help inspire dads to become the best father they can be. In short, this book offers a strategy for the expecting/new father focusing on 35 weekly ideas that Dad can do for himself, his wife and his newborn. A few of these ideas, which Densmore refers to as DADspirations, include:

● Develop a baby birth time capsule, which captures all of the precious moments from a day you're likely to forget.
● Send your loving wife to the spa, which secures for you an afternoon of introducing Bob Ross and Kung Fu to your baby.
● Build a toy box, which gives you the perfect excuse to spend an entire day alone in the garage with power tools and beer.
● Make up a holiday, which affords time for infant and grandma to bond, and gives you and your wife time for nookie.


***Up for grabs on at this tour stop is a signed copy of the book. Enter via the Rafflecopter below!***

a Rafflecopter giveaway

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the giveaway! This looks cute.

    mestith at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun read this is going to be. Helpful too no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ihave someone who could use this they are expecting little one soon

    ReplyDelete