Wednesday, April 5, 2017

REVIEW: Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Summary:

Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father—the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.

In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner—are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her newfound status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side . . . and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.

Title:  Halfway to the Grave
Series:  Night Huntress
Book #: 1
Author:  Jeaniene Frost
Approximate Book Length:  384 Pages
Recommended Reader Age:  18+
Sexual Content:  Explicit

Thoughts:

I’ll be honest, I’m writing this review about 2.5 years after reading this book for the first time. I’ve since reread it and the rest of the series countless times – it’s THAT good! Tavia Gilbert does an awesome job with the audiobooks, if that’s your thing by the way.

I haven’t read too many books that are solely from one POV and I worried I would lose something from the love interest. No need as Bones is impossible not to love and it’s so easy to get completely lost in the book by staying in Cat’s POV.

Cat is more resilient than I could ever be and more accepting as well. I would have a lot more trouble with Bones’s past than she seems to. Bones has a history that frankly might scare me off, had I not gotten to know him first. He’s all around bad ass – super sexy and incredibly smart.

At one point, I was tired of vampire books (despite all my favorite series being about vampires), but I’m so glad I read this one anyway. It kicks off a series (and a spinoff or two) that has become my favorite that follows a single person/couple. Most others I enjoy feature a different couple per book, but Cat and Bones’s journey unfolds over the course of seven books and a hand full of novellas. Their relationship feels realistic and satisfying. The conflict was disturbing and taking care of business was extremely high risk and cost Cat a lot. The ending was tough and opened up a world of obstacles for Cat’s happiness.

Bottom Line:

Halfway to the Grave is a gateway to a world that’ll stay with you long after you finish the book. It’s an awesome read I couldn’t put down.

Rating:



Links:



No comments:

Post a Comment