Wednesday, November 12, 2014

REVIEW: Fifty Shades Freed by EL James

Summary:

When unworldly student Anastasia Steele first encountered the driven and dazzling young entrepreneur Christian Grey it sparked a sensual affair that changed both of their lives irrevocably. Shocked, intrigued, and, ultimately, repelled by Christian’s singular erotic tastes, Ana demands a deeper commitment. Determined to keep her, Christian agrees.

Now, Ana and Christian have it all—love, passion, intimacy, wealth, and a world of possibilities for their future. But Ana knows that loving her Fifty Shades will not be easy, and that being together will pose challenges that neither of them would anticipate. Ana must somehow learn to share Christian’s opulent lifestyle without sacrificing her own identity. And Christian must overcome his compulsion to control as he wrestles with the demons of a tormented past.

Just when it seems that their strength together will eclipse any obstacle, misfortune, malice, and fate conspire to make Ana’s deepest fears turn to reality.

Title:  Fifty Shades Freed
Series:  Fifty Shades
Book #: 3
Author:  EL James
Approximate Book Length:  594 Pages
Recommended Reader Age:  18+
Sexual Content:  Explicit

Thoughts:

*I don’t usually write “bad” reviews, because I don’t want to be rude. This one however is a HIGHLY popular trilogy and I finally read it to see what all the fuss was about. I’m sharing my honest opinion.*

Holy flashbacks Batman! I hate flashbacks unless they’re used infrequently and very purposefully. These were unnecessary and far too frequent. Beyond that though, I am kind of ashamed to admit that I was regrettably invested in this book. At least I was one love scene where Christian’s “fifty shades of messed up” shines through in vibrant color. Not counting that one, a couple of the love scenes (after all, there are MANY) aren’t bad – however the rest were pretty boring and I skimmed through probably most of them.

I do have to say that for once, the characters aren’t completely predictable. They are mostly, make no mistake, but they throw you a curve now and then. The plot itself though is pretty freaking predictable. The epilogue jumps around some, and there are some unresolved plot lines (such as Mia and Ethan – sorry if that’s a spoiler). Overall the ending just seemed anticlimactic with how overdramatized the rest of the book (and trilogy) has been.

Random note: the Twilight similarities were painfully obvious in this book.

Now that everything is over and done, I have to say that I just can’t reconcile how quickly and easily he went from abusive, control freak Dom to happy daddy. There’s a certain addictive element that eventually sucked me in and I honestly couldn’t put it down…even though part of me HATED it. I’ve never had more mixed feelings over something I’ve read. I can’t deny the allure, but it’s just NOT WORTH IT.

Bottom Line:

Fifty Shades Freed is the conclusion to a trilogy that lives up to its name – fifty shades of screwed up.

Rating:


N/A

Links:



No comments:

Post a Comment