Tuesday, May 15, 2012

INTERVIEW: Belinda Boring


Author of the The Mystic Wolves and Forget Me Not with more in the works, Belinda Boring is an author, book lover, and devoted friend and wife. Thankfully she was able to spare some time to visit with me, along with her Mystic Wolves friends. You'll find our discussion below. Happy reading!


Standing outside the home of Buffy Kennedy, I turn to the small group behind me.

“Okay, you all need to be on your best behavior!” I pointed to each of them, my finger jutting for extra emphasis. “I know we can be pretty wild sometimes, but let’s try to show we can be quiet and civilized as well.”

Devlin shook his head, and chuckled. “Are you sure you need to be giving us that warning? Aren’t YOU the one that gets a little crazy? Maybe you should wait outside while we go in and dazzle her.”

“I agree. I’m the perfect picture of innocence and reverent behavior,” Daniel added, elbowing his best friend, Mason.

“You’re the biggest offender!” Darcy laughed, and letting go of Mason’s hand, grabbed mine. “Let’s go before we’re late. I wonder what kind of questions she’ll ask?”

“I wonder if she’s cute?”

I joined the rest as we turned to face Daniel. He was wearing a wide grin, not the least bit embarrassed for his comment. Ignoring him, we approached the door, and I raised my hand to knock.

A few moments passed before the curtain of the front window swished to the side, showing a female peering out. Standing close, Devlin’s presence causes my senses to tingle. Even though I’m the author, I’m still affected by the vampire enforcer, and I resist the urge to poke my tongue out at him as he whispers in my ear.

“Don’t be nervous. You’ll be fine. I have complete faith in you.”

I’m stopped from responding, from asking for a good luck kiss, (Hey, it was worth a try) by the opening of the door.

“Come in, come in. Welcome!”

Following our host into her home, Buffy ushers us into a cozy living room where overstuffed couches are arranged so the lighted fireplace is the focal point. The various lamps are dimmed, casting the perfect ambience for an interview.

Wasting no time, Daniel finds himself a seat, and a quick glare from me stops him from placing his feet on the table. Mason and Darcy take the smaller love seat, content in sitting as close as possible, and I blush as the exchange a quick kiss. It’s obvious they’re in love.

Shrugging my shoulders, I take the seat next Devlin and sigh as he places his arm behind me on the head rest. We look expectantly at Buffy, and the room falls into silence.

“Forgive me if I’m a little nervous. I don’t have guests often, and never have I had any werewolves in the house. I even locked my cats up so as not to bother you, ha.” She says to us all with a smile, as she takes a seat in a rocking chair by the fire place.

“So, I guess I’ll get on with it before I ramble on and bore you to death!”

Addressing me, Buffy asks “So are you a full-time writer?”

"At the moment I am. When I first started writing, I was working full time at a recovery center, but it soon became clear that I wanted to follow my passion and work within the book industry. I’ve been fortunate to have a supportive husband who is fully behind me following my dreams, and it’s been amazing. I love being able to work from home.”

“I know what you mean. I love ‘working’ in my pajamas.” She laughs. “Do you write to achieve a goal, or just to let out the stories in your head?”

“I write because the stories won’t leave me alone until I do. Whether it’s from a dream or something else, the moment I get that spark of an idea, it pretty much haunts me until I write it down. I have folders of storylines on my laptop, some with full outlines and covers even. Whichever story is speaking the loudest moves up to the top of my list and gets worked on. Trouble is, sometimes I can have up to four stories or characters demanding attention. That’s when I tell them to take a number and I’ll get back to them when I can. I may jot down scenes or ideas, but I try to keep focused on the story I’m working on.”

“How does your husband like your work?”

I laugh a little thinking about him. “He loves it. When I’m working on a deadline, he’ll text me and ask how I’m doing. He goes for drives with me when the storyline isn’t quite clicking, and runs to the store when I need something to munch on while I write. He makes sure I eat dinner, rubs my shoulders when they hurt, and keeps everything quiet when I need to focus. He’s one of my biggest cheerleaders, and I couldn’t do it without him. He’s my rock.”

“What inspired you to write The Mystic Wolves?” she asks.

“It was from a dream I had. I woke up with the most gut wrenching pain, and I couldn’t stop crying. The feeling stayed with me – grief over watching someone I loved shot. It kept playing over in my head, and finally my best friend told me to write it down. In my dream, the people involved were human, but as I wrote, Darcy became a werewolf which was funny because at the time I was an avid vamp-girl. But it clicked, and the rest was history.”

“Well, I’m glad it played out the way it did, I’ve enjoyed reading Mason and Darcy’s story, and am excited to meet them today!” Buffy says before turning towards them.

“So Mason, I’m sorry to ask, but I just have to get this out…wtf is up with Amber?” she asks with a stern face.

“So I’m gathering you haven’t read Forget Me Not?” he says letting out a loud sigh as he rubs his hands over his face. “She’s a nightmare. Pure and simple. Like I told Darcy, she’s someone from my past that just won’t stay there, and honestly? I’m tired of talking about her. I just want her to go away.”

Buffy looks more relaxed as she responds. “Well, good. Gotta stick up for Darcy, you understand. And no, I have yet to read Forget Me Not, but it’s at the top of my TBR list between review books. Anyway, switching to a new topic, though emotional, how are you holding up over Jasmine?”

Mason places his hand over his heart. “It hurts. There’s not a day that’s gone by that I don’t wish for my little sister back. You get used to always having the people you love with you, and although I wouldn’t say I took her for granted, I know I didn’t appreciate her enough. It’s really taught me to value each moment. Jasmine was an incredible person, and it’ll be a long time before I’m ever okay with her passing. If ever.”

“And how’s the pack as a whole after your loss and the big vamp showdown?”

“The pack is grieving, but we’re pulling together for strength. One of the things I’ve stressed as their Alpha is the sense of family. I don’t want anyone feeling like they have to be alone dealing with this. Jasmine’s death was a huge loss for us, and the events with Avery just made us stronger. To attack one of us is to attack us all, and we’re very protective of one another. I’m proud of my pack brothers and sisters. We’re fighters.”

“I can tell.” Buffy smiles back at him.

“So Darcy, how are you holding up with the Amber thing? Especially right after the save-you-mate-from-a-psycho-vampire thing?”

“Would you hate me if I said you should read Forget Me Not?” Darcy responds. Buffy laughs and says “Not at all. As I said before, I have it on my to-do list. I’m really looking forward to it, but it’s extremely frustrating trying to find the time.” she says.

Darcy squeezes Mason’s hand, and nods as he offers a smile for support. “Amber arriving on the doorstep like that, draping herself over Mason and then kissing him, made my blood BOIL. I knew she was trouble the second I laid eyes on her, if she thought I was going to hand over my future mate to her, she had another thing coming. Rule #1 – never steal from a werewolf.”

“Speaking of future mate,” Buffy says with a mischievous look in her eye, “when is the mating ceremony? Cause y’all need to seriously get on with that one.” Buffy winks at her.

Darcy laughs and blushes. “The highly anticipated mating ritual … it’s scheduled for 3 weeks from now, and you need to know it’s been TORTURE to wait. Heck, you’ve seen how Mason kisses. If it wasn’t because Vivien told me I needed to remain pure after a vision she had, there would be a lot less cold showers being had on pack property.”

Grinning, she pats Mason’s knee. “I can’t wait to officially be mated to Mason, to say the words of the ritual and know in my heart he’ll be mine forever.” Mason interrupts, “you also can’t wait for the night of the mating ritual. Be honest.” Darcy blushes again, fiercely. “Next question.”

Buffy’s laughing heartily now. “I’ll let you two talk that one over, and I’ll move on to Daniel. So tell me, what’s it like living with these two love birds?”

“Thank goodness. Someone who senses my pain!” Daniel groans loudly before ducking the flying pillow Darcy throws at him. “Do you know what it’s like having to see the constant kissing? I seriously think that’s all they do! Every time I see them, they’re touching, or giving puppy dog eyes at each other. Lucky I’m there to keep them apart otherwise nothing would ever get done.” He makes silly kissy faces. “I’d say get a room, but then I’d NEVER see them.” He lets out a dramatic sigh before grinning. “I LOVE seeing my best friend happy. He deserves it, and Darcy is the perfect girl. She keeps him from taking himself too serious, which is important. As the Alpha, he needs to be able to blow off steam and have fun.” He pauses to throw the pillow at Mason kissing Darcy. “Knock it off, you two! You heard what Belinda said…be good!”

We’re all laughing at this point, as Buffy addresses Daniel again. “Any prospects for a mate of your own?”

“She’s out there. I just don’t know who yet. I trust when she comes along, I’ll recognize her straight away. No drama for us – we’ll fall in love, she’ll think I’m amazing, and she’ll laugh at all my jokes.” He leans forward. “If you find her before me, Buffy, can you send her my way?”

“I’ll keep an eye out and do just that.” She says with a smile. She looks around a bit and notices that Devlin’s been quiet the entire time.

“Devlin, what’s life like for you these days? How goes it with keeping the peace? Do you enjoy spending so much time with a pack of wolves?” She rattles off jokingly.

Devlin leans forward as he responds. “Keeping the peace is a full time job, especially with Darcy around.” With a warm smile he winks at Darcy. “I take a lot of pride in making sure the supernatural community it safe from threats, and that the law is upheld. It gives me a great sense of purpose, and frankly, I’m good at it.” He rakes his fingers through his hair. “As for hanging out with a pack of wolves? I couldn’t ask for a better group of friends. I’ve lived a long time and people come and go. You learn quickly who you can trust, and without a doubt, I trust Mason, Daniel, and Darcy with my life. They feel the same, and I’m grateful for their loyalty. We do get to spend a lot of time together—whether it’s business or pleasure. Gives me a chance to keep an eye on Miss Troublemaker over there,” he says as he points to Darcy.

“Are you sure that’s all the questions you have for me, Buffy?” He leans in and cocks his eyebrow. “You just want to talk business, or is there something more personal you’d like to ask? If you’re anything like Belinda and Darcy, you’re probably curious about my love life.” He chuckles. “Hmmm, what could I share?” He says as he ignores the way Darcy and I turn our full attention to him. “Do you have a question?”

Buffy leans forward, resting her chin on her fist, as he regards him with a glint in her eye and a smile spreading across her face. “I would love to question you about that, but would prefer less of an audience.” She says in a flirting tone and winks at him.

She turns to regard us all and smiles warmly. “It has truly been a pleasure having you here, getting to know you, and I would love to have you again sometime. Devlin, Daniel, if you’re ever bored or just want to get out a bit, feel free to drop by.” She says with a smirk.

We all say our goodbyes and head on out, pleased at a pleasant and successful visit with the woman.



A homesick Aussie living amongst the cactus and mountains of Arizona, Belinda Boring is a self proclaimed addict of romance and all things swoon worthy. When she's not devouring her latest read, you can find her celebrating her passion for book on her blog The Bookish Snob.

With all that excitement, it wasn't long before she began writing, pouring her imagination and creativity into the stories she dreams. Whether urban fantasy, paranormal romance or romance in general, Belinda strives to share great plots with heart and characters that you can't help but connect with. Of course, she wouldn't be Belinda without adding heroes she hopes will curl your toes.

Surrounded by a supportive cast of family, friends and the man she gives her heart and soul to, Belinda is living the good life. Happy reading!

Find her here.


Forget Me Not Now Available!

Only a fool would think they could steal from a werewolf …

Anticipating a quiet night alone with the man she loves, Darcy’s world is sent into a spin with the arrival of someone from the past—Mason’s. She is further shocked by the intruder’s claim she may not even be the true mate of the Mystic Wolves Alpha. Accusations start to fly, leading to her new enemy being granted asylum, and this is just the beginning of trouble.

Relying on the reassurances of Mason and the support of her friends and Pack, Darcy soon falls under attack. Suspicions are raised, and with no other choice, she must flee with Devlin to safety where hopefully they can untangle the lies hidden behind the use of magic. Time is quickly ticking away, leading to a showdown where everything is on the line.

They need to uncover the truth before it’s too late, or once again, Darcy will need to fight to hold onto her dreams.



4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having us on your blog today, it was a lot of fun!! This was Mason's, Darcy's, Daniel's and Devlin's first ever itnerview so it was exciting! I hope everyone enjoyed it <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it immensely! And I still need to have that talk with Devlin, so we'll need to do this again sometime! :D :P

      Delete
  2. What a unique interview concept. I'll be sharing your site with my sister who is also a writer, as am I. I started out on amazon this morning trying to find Testing Fate but couldn't find it, and so the hunt began and brought me here. Love those lil side trips. I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete